In fitness at any age. Many older adults feel that they will inevitably lose their strength and vigor, but the truth is you don’t have to be a 20-something to be healthy and fit!
Bob Arnot, M.D., an award-winning journalist, author of 12 books on nutrition and health, previously Chief Medical Correspondent for NBC and CBS News, and Chief Foreign Correspondent for MSNBC and NBC, offers this advice for staying fit and healthy at any age:
• Find a few minutes at least two to three times a week to maintain general fitness. Try three or four five-minute bursts of activity such as walking or climbing the stairs at the office.
• Take two or three more minutes a day for yoga breathing and movements to help your body maintain balance, usable strength, flexibility and muscular restoration
• Spend another few minutes every day and before any vigorous exercise doing calf stretches and forward bends
• Stay hydrated before, during and after your workout.
• To reduce your risk of muscle soreness after exercise, make sure you do proper stretching and cool-down.
• Eat right. In addition to lots of fruits and vegetables and a few lean meats, consume foods with magnesium, which helps fight inflammation, and with vitamin B12—especially if you’re over 50—such as fortified cereals. Drink three cups of fat-free or low-fat milk throughout the day or consume the equivalent in yogurt, cheese or other dairy products. Consider an anti-inflammatory diet—cut out sugar, potatoes, tomatoes and eggplant.
A retirement community that promotes active aging will offer many resources —such as walking trails, a fitness center and tasty, nutritious dining — to help you stay well and strong. Wesley Woods of Newnan is just that kind of community, offering an energetic lifestyle in an elegant Southern setting.
Wesley Woods of Newnan is a senior living community on 54 acres offering independent apartments and cottages, personal care, memory care and nursing care – all on one campus.
The address is 2280 Highway 29 North, Newnan GA 30265. For more information, call 770-683-6833 or visit www.wesleywoodsnewnan.org.