In taking charge of your health at every age, especially later in life. In fact, there are many things you can do right now to stay healthy, active and pain-free as you age. Here are five tips from well-known physician and author Dr. Bob Arnot for taking charge of your health, beginning today:
1. Give good health a shot. Get your flu, shingles and pneumonia immunizations. Follow your doctor’s advice about regular cancer screening tests, stress tests and bone density measurements. Head off some of the problems of aging before they occur.
2. Stay mentally alert. Read the newspaper every day. Do the crossword puzzle. Play bridge or chess. Take—or teach—a class. Keeping your mind engaged could ward off the brain changes that lead to Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
3. Don’t smoke. You’re never too old to quit.
4. Eat right. Make sure your grocery list includes lots of fresh produce, a few lean meats and low fat dairy products. Choose brightly colored vegetables such as carrots and broccoli and deep-colored fruit such as berries and peaches for their high nutritional value. Read the labels and watch out for products that are high in fat, sodium and sugar.
5. Be physically active. Regular activity can help delay, prevent or manage many costly chronic diseases faced by adults 50 years old or older. Try walking, bicycling, water aerobics or dancing. Strength training such as lifting weights can help you improve your balance.
A retirement community that promotes active aging will offer many resources —such as walking trails, a fitness center and tasty, nutritious dining — to partner with you in taking charge of your own health. Wesley Woods of Newnan is just that kind of community, offering an active, healthy lifestyle in an elegant Southern setting.
Call 770-683-6859, visit wesleywoodsnewnan.org, and follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. Wesley Woods of Newnan is located at 2280 Hwy. 29 North, Newnan GA 30263.