In aging with optimism! Having a “glass half-full” approach to life has long been considered important for overall wellness. But evidence suggests that there may be truth in this folk wisdom.
Humana recently surveyed 2,000 people aged 60 and over, and found that 87 percent of seniors who identify themselves as “most optimistic” reported their health as good to excellent. This is compared to 44 percent for those who said they’re “least optimistic.” Also, the most optimistic people reported nine fewer physically unhealthy and seven fewer mentally unhealthy days per month than their least optimistic counterparts. Seniors who rated themselves as most optimistic also reported positively on other attributes linked to health, including sleep, confidence and overall happiness.
Here are some tips for how to stay on the sunny side of life from Dr. Yolangel Hernandez Suarez, Humana vice president and chief medical officer for care delivery:
1. Take ownership and recognize that your health is your own. To achieve your best health, you need to set personal goals.
2. Engage with your doctor or other health care professional and build a trusting relationship.
3. Find a higher purpose that makes you excited to get up in the morning.
4. Remain socially engaged, not isolated, and nurture close relationships.
5. Stay active and remember that physical activity is important.
6. Practice gratitude and make it a habit to look for and appreciate everything you’re thankful for in life.
Wesley Woods of Newnan provides an environment rich with the resources our residents need for aging with optimism. From activities that promote physical fitness and social engagement to nutritious dining and spiritual nourishment, we offer an active, health lifestyle in an elegant Southern setting. Call (770) 683-6833, visit wesleywoodsnewnan.org, and follow us on Facebook and Pinterest.